I. love. muffins. There is nothing better than a fresh out-of-the-oven-melt-in-your-mouth muffin. The trouble is that they are usual so delicious because they have so many calories in them. These aren't the kind of calories you can justify either. They usually come from butter and sugar and eggs. Sigh. Now why can't celery stalks melt in your mouth like muffins do? I'm going to figure out a way to make that happen someday, but until then I guess I will just take a recipe and healthify it as much as I know how.
So, here we have it:
Zucchini Flax Muffins
3 cups of grated zucchini
1/2 cups of applesauce
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of vanilla Greek yogurt
3 teaspoons of vanilla
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 teaspoons (heaping) of cinnamon
3 cups of whole wheat flour
3/4 cups ground flax seed
1. Mix together the zucchini, applesauce, sugar, yogurt and vanilla.
2. Add the baking soda, cinnamon, flour and flax seed.
3. Realize, oh heck yes! this recipe has no raw egg.
4. Make sure to have a spoon ready to lick the bowl after it has been spooned into a muffin tin.
5. Fill 2 greased muffin tins 3/4 full.
6. Place in oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes.
8. Lick the bowl. No raw egg. Remember?
"For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." Ephesians 2:10