Sunday, September 7, 2014

How do you title the first post in an almost two year hiatus from blog-dom? Read me.

Well, hello world!  It has been quite a while since I have posted a little treasure on this old blog of mine.  It's not that baking has not occurred but sometimes things need to be put on pause. But luckily (or unluckily) for you other times there is a nagging urge to thought vomit onto whomever (whoever? whatever?) might care to read. 

So here I am, baking up the same kind of trouble I always do, but this time? Its for a good cause.  It's for the children.  You see, we happened to read The Gingerbread Man last week and various other versions of the story. I, personally, find it quite impossible to read so many versions and NOT bake gingerbread cookies for my class (even if it is no where close to Christmas).  What? We need a lesson plan to go with that? With an objective? Ok, here it is: Content Learning Objective- Students will be able to (SWBAT) analyze the distinct flavors of a gingerbread cookie using the vocabulary " "this tastes like heaven" "is that ginger and butter I taste in there?" and "yummy". Then we will follow it with a lesson in character analysis. Sure the students can describe how the Gingerbread Man was fast, boastful and trusting but how are they going to describe how moist and aromatic it is if it is not being stuffed in their face?  It is necessary and as I said, it is for a good cause.  I can't wait to see the faces of my children tomorrow as we dig in to our special snack and reread The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School. Then? I think we shall write how-to's on how to make gingerbread man cookies and maybe even write our own story. Can I make gingerbread math problems?  Hmmm... how about a word problem like this: If your teacher gave you one gingerbread cookie and then ate it right in front of your face how many tears would you have? Oops. Too far. Maybe we should just leave the gingerbread activities to literacy.  I have to remember it is for a good cause.


I am always on the hunt for a good cause. I meet so many others in my journey of life that are impacting the world day in and day out. There are so many stories of people being moved and impacting those for which their heart is moved.  They give of selflessly of their treasures and time to create a better tomorrow.  Those people make the stories and inspire others and move others to do likewise.  

Do-good-ers are plentiful if you really look at the world.  Sure everyone has moments of an egocentric nature but I choose to believe that more or less we all have a desire to better that which we love. However, at times it can be tiring or even counter-culture to do the right thing.  Sometimes the people around us who choose selfishly DO get rewarded.  It is not fair and it can tempt us to enthusiastically throw in the towel.  Our well runs dry. Doing good is too much work.  But, today I leave you with this reminder:

"So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up." Galatians 6:9.

(Plus doing good might result in getting to like the bowl on occasions, and that, my friends, is worth it).

Peace, love and troublebaking,
Me

And if that doesn't encourage you enough...
Try this:
I believe in you too! You really can do the thing.



1 comment: