Tuesday, June 26, 2012

You can take your metabolism and shove it!

Friends coming into town to visit naturally means that you are allowed to make a meal with enough calories to feed 500 when there are only three of you.  Anything goes.  As I flipped through the recipes I keep in my head, I could think of nothing better to prepare than this recipe for stuffed blueberry cream cheese french toast.  While I have never actually tried it, the mere fact that my principal interrupted my earth shattering lesson on double digit addition to ask for the recipe told me it would be a hit with my friends. 

Tell me this doesn't look good:


Can't tell me, can you? Thought so.  I think it looks good too.  My breakfast however did not include this mouth-watering delight.  I stuck with my usual carrots and peanut butter.  This metabolism is not very forgiving of the partaking in something so indulgent.  Not to fear though, my breakfast was heavenly. I discovered all natural peanut butter with coconut oil.  Oh. my. goodnessssssssssssss.  I melted a little with each crunch.  So. good.  In fact, if you so desire, you can stop reading this blog for a moment, go to the store, buy all natural peanut butter with coconut oil and return.  I'll be right here when you get back.  Seriously. So. good.  Did I mention it was good?  So, please do not feel bad for me and my slower-than-molasses-metabolism because I was on the floor, melted from all that yumminess that went into my mouth.  So. good. 

Everyone always wonders, as they see my blog and all of the sweet treats I make, how in the world I let them pass by without eating any of it.  Let me tell you, it is not always easy.  In fact, the title of this blog was actually what I jokingly said to one of my friends who was visiting and enjoying the stuffed french toast while I munched on carrots.  With her body type that allows spoonfuls of Nutella, bags of candy and all of the waffles one could dream of shoving in your face, I am a little envious.  Oh to have that metabolism...

But at the end of the day, the feeling of accomplishment gets me through.  The knowledge that being fit by hard work and not by natural blessing makes me proud.  This lets me get through my day.  This lets me savor every spinach leaf, broccoli tree and apple slice.  This pushes me to my 299th crunch on my new ab swing machine I recently purchased from the ARC on half off day for 4.00 plus tax that I love to hate. 

So while God didn't bless me with a speed-of-light metabolism, I have been challenged this week to remember that He has created something beautiful in me none-the-less.  Created in His image.  Valued.  Cherished.  Loved.  Let's face it, girls are the first to be aware of their flaws and constantly desire to be a better version of themselves.  Sometimes people who cross our paths can affirm our fears and make us feel less-than-worthy. We are constantly striving to prove that we are enough.  In Him? We are.  For that I am grateful.  In that knowledge I feel free.

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.  Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate." Proverbs 31:30-31

No comments:

Post a Comment