Friday, March 30, 2012

No peeps were harmed in the making of this bread.

On lovely days like today, there is nothing better than a trip up to the mountains.  Mountains give perspective of a world that is much bigger than the little bubble we call our reality that often consumes us.  Mountains are big, so they kind of force you to get over yourself for a minute or two.  I got up to camp today to discover that they were serving a silent retreat for a user group.  As a rule, I don't succeed at silence.  I chose to be illiterate and continue talking.  Mark Twain says there is little difference between one who chooses not to read and one who can't, so I think I'll follow his philosophy today and ignore the signs.  These same silent people also had a dietary request list longer than the Nile, so it was time to get creative in the kitchen.  This was my adventure into vegan zucchini bread.  It took some hunting to find a recipe I could use, because I don't carry things like coconut oil and cocoa nibs on my person (while that might be surprising to you). With a few tweaks for being at altitude, the bread turned out yum-o-rrific.


Here is my zucchini bread in all of its vegan glory.  The silent people seem to like it.  I didn't hear any cheering or hooting and hollering in its honor but it's disappeared off the plate as I typed, so I'll take that as a "yum". 

Maybe today I am not minding the quiet so much though.  I am attempting to ween myself off of caffeine.  Note:  I am not giving up caffeine, but am sure that a daily diet of 40 oz. of coffee, 20 oz. of Rockstars, 40 oz. of Pepsi Max, and a few cups of tea a day can't be good for you.  I don't know how it always gets this bad.  It starts innocently enough with one cup of coffee at the beginning of the school year each day and then just expands.  It's my winter activity. Bears hibernate in the winter; I caffeinate.  It's about this time of year when I add up my caffeine intake and decide that I should share the wealth.  I could use up the world's supply and people might get irate.  Nobody wants that.  So today, my one Rockstar and 20 oz. of coffee is the limit.  My pounding head is reminding me of my detoxing, and is welcoming the mutes.  Plus, thanks to the mutes, I now have another vegan baking recipe in my pocket (the pocket where I apparently also need to start carrying cocoa nibs and coconut oil so I can try this recipe instead). 

Speaking of vegans, peeps are vegan, I believe.  Peeps are also weird.  I put them in the category of things-I-can't-believe-I-begged-for-as-a-kid, along with twinkies, beans-and-weenies, and going to Casa Bonita.  They are taunting me every time I enter any supermarket since Easter is coming.  I don't think I will ever understand the revolution of Peeps (which are now not only a staple Easter treat but coming in different colors and being even made into pumpkins and Christmas trees).  They are like a virus, invading all of the holidays.  I would have killed a few peeps to make this recipe, but it did not call for them.  You are safe today, Peeps.  Next time? Maybe not so much.  If a student of mine gives me some this year, as has happened in the past Easters, I will politely say, "Thank you, dear student, that is so thoughtful!" and then take them home and leave the package open "accidentally" until they are too stale to eat and throw them away.  Can't eat stale food, right?  (That's my justification so I don't feel bad for not eating a gift from a student.)  Were you thinking of giving me peeps?  Now you know that is a bad life choice.  When in doubt? Chocolate. Many much chocolate.  Or even better? Give me Jesus.  That's what Easter is all about anyways.  Thanking Jesus today for all of His glory.  Glory that is more than I can fathom.  Glory that kicks the butt of any pillow-y sugared chick we call a Peep. 

"The Son radiates God's own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven." Hebrews 1:3

1 comment:

  1. Outside the box you should think. (say this in a Yoda-voice).

    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/peeps-recipes-how-to-make-peepshi-sushi-rice-krispies-treats-easter.html

    OMG, they've got deep fried peeps, too!

    And why is it that the other links are:
    -how to make peeps from scratch
    -peeps fluffernutter
    -peeps krispie treats
    and
    -8 most common symptoms of ulcerative colitis

    ReplyDelete