Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cheesecake and life weren't made to be reduced fat

This is a tale about a time when I made a reduced fat cheesecake.  It is not a happy tale but a tale that must be told none-the-less.  Yesterday I was preparing for the arrival of a dear friend and decided to make a cheesecake.  I love cheesecake.  If you do not? I do not understand you.  That stuff is delish.  So, being that I am now more than ever a health nut, I made a reduced fat cheesecake from my America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family. 

Step number one in making a reduced fat cheesecake?  The crust (with about half the amount of butter).  Result? In five minutes less than the recipe recommended, the crust was over-browned nearing burnt.  I was upset.  In hindsight, I should have just started singing, "do do do, another one bites the dust" and laughed it off, but the perfectionist side of me was mourning my over-browned crust as a chucked it into the trash.  Luckily I had pre-made crusts on hand, but it is soooo not the same.

The actual filling was fun to make but in the shallow pre-made crusts, it definitely didn't need the recommended amount of time in the oven.  The cheesecakes turned out edible but deeeefinitely not photograph-able.  Fact: cheesecake is delicious because of all the things that make it bad for you.  It was not meant to be reduced fat.

Another thing that was not made to be reduced fat? Life.  I praise the LORD for grace.  I am so glad we get to have grace and the fact that it is unending is incomprehensible.  Thinking about the massive amounts of failure that occur on any given day, it is overwhelming to think about the overflow of grace we are given.  I have been meditating today on this quote however, "grace can lead to a life of mediocrity".  The reality is that just as cheesecake was never made to be reduced fat, grace was never made so that we could live a lukewarm life.  Grace should spur us on to glorify God all the more.  Mediocre, lukewarm, reduced fat are not words to describe life in all that it was meant to be.

"The thief comes to steal, kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it to the full." John 10:10

Something else I have stuck in my head?

This video...Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment