Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Daniel's Fast Day 5: I'm going nuts! Just not crazy...

Ok, day 5 of the Daniel's fast.  A life of vegetables, fruits, nuts and beans results in an interesting diet and has strengthened my love for peanut butter.  Even all natural, unsalted peanut butter.
Peanut butter and apples.
Peanut butter and carrots.
Ants on a log.
In fact, just straight up peanut butter on a spoon.
So I was reading the guidelines the other day and it suggested that you should moderate the consumption of nuts as you are on the Daniel's fast.  (Car screeching sound) WHAT? Moderate the wonderful creamy goodness that is peanut butter?  Well aware that this is a fast, peanut butter was one of my few permissible items.  My response? Dry roasted soy nuts. Result? Fail.  It is not peanut butter.  Response number 2? Eat peanut butter.  What do nutritionists know anyways?
So, here I am. Day 5. New fixation: peanut butter.
While I may need to moderate my consumption of this delectable spread.  One thing that I am learning to crave without moderation is the Sustainer.  I am blown away that 5 days in has yielded so many beautiful illustrations of  His handiwork in my life.




All creatures look to you to give them their food at the proper time. When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand,  they are satisfied with good things.                       
                                                                                                             Psalms 104:27-28


Sidenote: Do you know what I thought would be really funny? A cooking blog devoted to a day on the Daniel's fast.  
It would go a little like this:
Picture of peeled banana
Picture of a sliced apple
Picture of peanut putter on sliced apple
Picture of trail of peanut butter left along the trail from plate to mouth because all natural peanut butter is runnier than the processed stuff.
Picture of carrots.
Picture of peanut butter on carrot.
Picture of trail of peanut butter left along the trail from plate to mouth.
Picture of various vegetable being steamed.
Dried fruit.


All in all it would equate to a pretty boring post and some quality self mocking of a cook who is pretty much not cooking for 35 more days... 
Can't wait for a goood cooking session. I've got a new dutch oven (kudos to my favorite Boulderians) and a creme brulee set (kudos to my mama) to try out!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment