Saturday, January 1, 2011

Thrill Seekers: Daniel's Fast Day 1

A great multitude of people enjoy being scared.  They watch horror films, go through haunted houses, and do extreme activities that require them to play with death.  Many even ride roller coasters claiming that the butterflies as they plummet at a rapid rate are enjoyable.  I have never been in this camp of people.  Why trick your body unnecessarily into fight or flight mode for fun?  As a result I stay close to the ground.  I stay in sunny places flooded with light (giving a shout-out to my Colorado sun).   But these same activities allow us to be fearless.  Fearlessness may not always be prudent but it certainly can take you on the greatest adventures.

So today I start the Daniel's Fast.  I say that not because I want to appear to be holier-than-thou or that I somehow have more figured out as a result of this fast, not in the least. (Believe me, my attitude the first week off caffeine will certainly prove that I am no holier-than-thou, just frequently more caffeinated-than-thou.) I share this because this 40 day adventure I have planned to embark on will inevitably result in, and even day 1 has resulted in, some adventure, a greater calling that requires me to be a bit of a thrill seeker.  When I seek thrill with the Lord, it is much like a roller coaster.  As you descend, you appear to be going straight into the ground at unimaginable speeds, but there is a curve in the track that will prevent that and take you upward to the next. The butterflies, the plummet, the gripping of the handlebar vanish when there is that realization that the thrill was for the sake of thrill, of growth, of knowledge in Who truly is in control the time. So here we go, seat-belts for safety!  Its time to seek a little thrill, get a little fearless because thats where the rides are BIG.

Note: it is amazing to me how much more acute my sense of God is as I leave behind a can of carbonation and a few items from each daily meal.  I am leaving behind the cravings to crave my Sustainer.

Daniel's Fast Rationale:
“In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.” Daniel 10:2, 3

No comments:

Post a Comment